Passer au contenu

/ Law Faculty

Je donne


FAQs — Frequently Asked Questions Business Law in a Global Context

Application and Admission

Which documents should I submit for my application?

When submitting your application, the following documents should be attached:

  1. Application Form
  2. Application Fee
  3. Personal Statement
  4. Two Letters of Recommendation
  5. Full Transcripts
  6. Official English Test Report

What are the minimum requirements?

Academic requirement The minimum Cumulative Average is 3.0 out of 4.3 or 75 out of 100.

English requirement TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): 90 or greater IELTS (International English Language Testing System): at a minimum of 6.5 or over.

If I do not have a law degree, can I apply with an equivalent degree?

If you do not have a law degree, you need to have completed at least four law courses.

How can I know if my application has been well received by the Faculty?

After your application has been received, the Executive Secretary will send you a confirmation by email.

How long will it take the Faculty to make a decision?

After your application documents have been received, it will take about two months for the Faculty to make a decision. If it is positive, the Registration Office of Université de Montréal will issue you the Official Admission Letter. Upon receipt of this letter, we will send it to you along with other documents regarding your admission.

If I am missing one of the required documents, can I send out my application first and provide the missing document once it is ready or available?

Yes, you can send your application. However, your application will be taken into consideration only when all the required documents are complete.

Which documents should I bring to Canada for the registration?

  • Passport
  • CAQ
  • Study permit
  • Diploma from your previous program (Original copy. If it is not in English, you should provide the certified translation along with it)
  • Full academic transcript from your previous program (Original copy. If it is not in English, you should provide the certified translation along with it). The University also requires your birth certificate.

Tuition and other fees

If I am admitted, when do I need to pay the tuition fees?

You will receive the bill one month after the semester starts, and you have approximately one month to pay it. For example, for the fall semester, you will receive the bill at the beginning of October, and you have until the end of October to pay.

How much is the tuition?

For 2022-2023, the fees are as follows:

  • Basic tuition fees:  Tuition charged to all students: $1 398.45/semester;
  • Additional fees if you are a Canadian, non-Quebec resident: $2 966,55/semester, i.e. a total of $4 365.00/semester;
  • Additional fees if you are an international student: $8 178.75/semester, i.e. a total of $9 577.20/semester (subject to change).
  • If you are a French or Belgium student (from France or Belgium): the Quebec regime applies to you, i.e. $1 398.45/semester.
  • For details, please visit this page (in French only).
  • Note that there may be fee increases for 2023-2024.

There will be other fees charged (around $2 500/year)  to all students enrolled at Université de Montréal. For details, please visit this page (in french only)

How can I pay my tuition fees?

You can pay the fees by bank-certified cheque, debit card or bank transfer. Credit card and cash are not accepted (paying your tuition and other fees).

What happens if I do not pay my tuition fees on time?

If you do not respect the deadline, you will be charged interest. Any outstanding balance due will yield an interest fixed at 10,75%.

Do I have to pay for Medical Insurance?

“All international students (including exchange students) who attend at Université de Montréal are automatically signed up for group medical insurance. The cost of this mandatory insurance is added to the tuition (cost for school year 2021-2022: $75/month, so $900/year). Students cannot withdraw from the plan by taking out medical insurance coverage abroad, unless they belong to one of the categories described in the “Exemptions from contributions”. The plan covers medical and hospital fees and prescription drugs. It does not cover dental care or glasses. The plan also includes a repatriation clause in the event of death or incapacity. In addition, only students enrolled at Université de Montréal are covered: dependents must take out private insurance.
For details, please visit : Bureau des étudiants internationaux (International Students Office) or

Do I have to pay for Dental Insurance?

“The Fédération des associations étudiantes du campus de l’UdeM (Federation of Student Associations of the UdeM campus), or FAECUM, offers a dental health insurance plan. The 2022-2023 premium is $195.57 per year and is added to the tuition. Since this insurance plan is optional, a withdrawal period will be provided at the beginning of the year.” The details will be sent to students upon their arrival.

Can I apply for financial aid?

International students

  1. The Dean Scholarships are offered to outstanding candidates.
  2. There are also other scholarships and financial aids offered to international students in Graduate studies. For details, please visit:
  3. Exemption Scholarship Program for International students:
  4. Non-international students For details, please visit this page.


How can I reserve a room in the Student Residences of Université of Montéal?

When you fill out and return the “ADMISSION FORM TO RETURN”, there is one option of “I want to apply for a room in the University residences”. At the same time, you need to pay the first month rent. Reservations are on first-come, first-served basis. You will have to sign a lease.

What is the rent per month in the Student Residences? What is included in the rent?

The rent is CAD $393, 00 / per month for the 2018-2019 academic year; it might increase slightly for the 2019-2020 academic year. It covers: electricity, hydro, heating, cable internet and telephone. In the room, there is one single bed, one desk with bookshelf, one chair, one closet, vanity with one sink and one refrigerator.

When will the room be ready to move in?

After reservation, your lease with the Student Residences will begin on September 1st. If you are planning to move a few days earlier, please contact the the Program Coordinator,  Ms. Elizabeth Steyn (, to verify if the room will be available.

How can I find a place to stay if I did not get a room in the Student Residences?

You can contact the Program Coordinator,  Ms. Elizabeth Steyn (; she will help you to find a temporary place to stay.


How long will it take to complete this program? Are there holidays?

This Master of Laws program (Business Law in a Global Context) is full-time for a period of 12 months, starting at the beginning of September and finishing at the end of August the year after. There will be three semesters: fall semester (September to December), winter semester (January to May) and summer semester (May to August). You will have a reading week in the middle of each semester, and one or two-week-vacation between each semester.

Where can I purchase textbooks?

There is one book store in the Faculty “COOP de Droit”, where you can buy all the textbooks. At the beginning of the course, the Professors or Program Coordinator will inform you which books need to purchased.

Can I enroll in French courses offered by Université de Montréal? Do the French courses affect my GPA in the LL.M. program?

Yes, as a regular full time student enrolled at the Université de Montréal, you have the right to enroll in French courses offered by the Language School of the Faculté de l’éducation permanente (Faculty of Continuing Studies). You will only have to pay minimal additional fees instead of full tuition fees. The results of your French courses will not be calculated in your GPA. However, the grades will show up on your academic transcript as “extracurricular activity”. But note that during the first two semesters the Faculty of Law offers informal French classes (informal meaning that you do not write exams and that no results will appear on your academic transcript) as a service to you.

If I continue to study in Law at Université de Montréal or other universities in Canada, can the credits in this LL.M. program be transferred for my future law study?

Yes. Depending on the specific program, you can transfer up to 36 credits.

How can I enroll in different classes each semester?

The Academic Student File Advisor of our Faculty will help you to register for courses each semester.

As an international student, am I allowed to work in Canada?

“It is possible to work in Canada, while you are here as a student, under any Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s (CIC’s) work programs for students. In most cases, you will need to apply for a student work permit.

For more details, please visit this page.

Further Questions

If you still have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact our team.

Contact UdeM International


Anelise Nigon, LL.M. 2009-2010


Drapeau France

“This program has been one of the best experiences I had, both professionally as well as culturally. Thanks to this LL.M., I have learnt to work with many legal concepts. After graduating in 2010, I did an internship in an international business law firm where I used the concepts and methods I learnt in the LL.M. on a daily basis.”